My broad research interest involves study of the self, and most of my research revolves around the concept of self-esteem. I am particularly interested in exploring the antecedents of self-esteem. Specifically, I have compared how competence and acceptance affect self-esteem. Most of my research suggests that the contribution of acceptance to self-esteem is more powerful than the contribution of competence. I have also explored the possibility that self-complexity moderates the effects of rejection on state self-esteem. Currently, my research is focusing on the phenomenon of STTUC -- sensitivity about being the target of a threatening upward comparison.
- Interpersonal Processes
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Self and Identity
- Social Cognition
- Koch, E. J. (2014). How does anticipated regret influence health and safety decisions? A literature review. Basic and Applied Social Psychology, 36(5), 397–412. doi:10.1080/01973533.2014.935379
- Koch, E. J. (2002). Relational schemas, self-esteem, and the processing of social stimuli. Self and Identity, 1, 271-279.
- Koch, E. J., & Metcalfe, K. P. (2011). The bittersweet taste of success: Daily and recalled experiences of being an upward social comparison target. Basic and Applied Social Psychology, 33, 47-58.
- Koch, E. J., & Shepperd, J. A. (2008). Testing competence and acceptance explanations of self-esteem. Self and Identity, 7, 54-74.
- Koch, E. J., & Shepperd, J. A. (2004). Is self-complexity linked to better coping? A review of the literature. Journal of Personality, 72, 727-760.
- Koch, E. J. (2006). Examining the role of self-esteem in psychological functioning. In M. H. Kernis (Ed.), Self-esteem issues and answers: A source book of current perspectives (pp. 260-266). New York: Psychology Press.
- Leary, M. R., Koch, E. J., & Hechenbleikner, N. R. (2001). Emotional responses to interpersonal rejection. In M. R. Leary (Ed.), Interpersonal rejection (pp. 145-167). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Advanced Social and Personality Psychology
- Introduction to Psychology
- Personality Psychology
- Psychology of the Self
- Research Methods II: Research Design and Analysis
- Social Psychology
Erika J. Koch
Department of Psychology
St. Francis Xavier University
P.O. Box 5000
Antigonish, Nova Scotia B2G 2W5
- Phone: (902) 867-3950
- Fax: (902) 867-5189